Friday, March 28, 2008

Missing the Big Picture

It's funny how the sports world works. I mean in the end when you retire all that matters is the championship column. Who you were as a person, how you were as a player are all really irrelevant.

Lets look at Chris Webber an All-Star power forward who just retired this past week. No one seems to point out how he was one of the greatest big men passers ever, or how he averaged 21 points and 10 rebounds for his 15 year NBA career. No the only thing that comes to light when Webber is brought up is he never won a title.

Nothing about his teams, no him. Never is it pointed out that maybe the Kings could of taken the Lakers in 2002 if Peja could of hit the right side of a barn.

No, all that is pointed out is Webber did not win a championship. Webber did not beat the Lakers.

Here's a thought, why do we the fans hold this no title aspect of a player's career in the same regards as someone suffering from a disease?

I am a sports nut and I understand the great value a title is, but do not rip a man apart for all he did for a sport. Webber will be remembered for his majestic style of play for year's to come. No he is not a Hall of Famer, but regardless he is worthy of being remembered. Not tarnished.

Webber is a 35 year old man who is financially set for life. He did a terrific job contributing to the continuously growing game of basketball. He has kids who I expect will become the focal point of the remainder of his life.

What is so wrong with that? What is so wrong with what he did?

The constant talk shows bashing Webber's career flat out sicken out. Stop sitting there and treating Webber like he was useless because he did not get a title. Believe me I am still ticked off the Kings could not close the deal against the Lakers in 2002, but I am a fan. I was never on that court.

Webber was.

He was busting his butt and for him to lose that game, and for that matter countless others during his quest for an NBA title I can't help but tip my hat to him.

He did his best for 15 years game in and game out.

I would like to put a quote below that Webber said after officially retiring. It is short and sweet, but has a big meaning behind it.

"I just felt it was time to let the game go and be able to be happy about what I accomplished without trying to keep coming back."

The man did his best, it is now time for him to hang his coat up.

Honor that, respect it...

No comments: