Sunday, November 02, 2008

BCS Chaos Theory in Full Force

At this moment working on my school should probably remain a top priority, but honestly who can work on homework when the college football season has yet again taken another incredible twist?

Many thoughts are running in my head. I will attack them one by one.

First, Penn State...

Nittany Lion fans do not start fussing at the BCS just yet. I can understand your frustration on Texas losing and you not moving up at all, but keep in mind (as cliche as it is to say) lots of football remains to be played. By no means think this this season is over. Alabama at No. 1 still has LSU and the possibly the SEC Championship, meanwhile Texas Tech still has Oklahoma State and Oklahoma.

Secondly, Florida...

Wow. Is there a team out in America that strikes fear into the opponent more so than Florida? Not only are the Gators winning against good competition, they are destroying them. First, LSU 51-21, and then Georgia this past weekend 49-10. Sadly, I have trouble focusing on Florida's impressive win, but rather Urban Meyer's classless demeanor. Why do you, Coach Meyer, find it necessary to throw the ball downfield late in the fourth quarter with a huge lead? I am sorry, but Coach Meyer has that same "respect" as Steve Spurrier. There was a lot of angst in Meyer and the team prior to Saturday's game considering how Georgia danced in the end zone following the game's first touchdown last year, but still that does not legitimize running up the score.

Thirdly, Texas Tech...

Maybe just maybe the Red Raiders are for real. Who am I kidding? They are for real. Down by one with eight seconds remaining Graham Harrell connected with Michael Crabtree on the 28 yard game winning touchdown. Honestly, I was imagining new kicker Matt Williams missing a field goal to give Texas the victory. Not much can be said to soothe the pain Texas feels right now. Crabtree made a play. That happens and unfortunately with every amazing play in sports comes that player on the other side of the spectrum who is nothing short of devastated.

Fourthly (yes that is a word), LSU...

Despite my allegiance to LSU football I must say how I see things. I want LSU to beat Alabama, but after the Tulane game I did not see much improvement. Tiger Stadium will be rocking Saturday night when Nick Saban makes his return to Tiger Stadium. Despite all that, I think the Tide get the win. Again this is my prediction. I will be screaming my lungs out for an LSU win. 'Bama might not be as good as the media makes them out to be, but they are still a better team than LSU. If I am bashed, criticized, and tar-and-feathered for picking against my Tigers so be it. Jarrett Lee has not shown an ability to navigate games during tense situations. But with that said, I think the Gators of Florida will end Bama's magical season with a win in the SEC Championship Game.

Fifthly, USC...

Is there a one-loss team out there in more of a pickle than the Trojans of USC? I think not. The Trojans slip up against Oregon State could be enough for Carroll's Crew to not reach the BCS Championship Game. Yes, plenty of time remains in the season, but as of now USC is No. 7 and behind a plethora of one-loss teams (Texas, Florida, and Oklahoma), plus undefeated teams (Alabama, Texas Tech, and Penn State). You can be sure each week USC will be rooting for the upset just to get closer at a chance at possibly winning their second National Championship of the 21st century. How's this for something ironic? This weekend the USC Trojans will be rooting for LSU to beat Alabama. Strange world isn't it?

That is all I have for now. Relax this week, and go enjoy yourself a sandwich.

No comments: