Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Three Days Until Kickoff

One year ago the Arizona Cardinals made the improbable trip to the Super Bowl. I wrote an article about how important it was for the Cardinals to have made the trip. I highlighted the importance of every fan of every doormat team to root for Arizona because if the Arizona Cardinals can make it to the Super Bowl anyone can. Every Lion, Brown, and Saint fan saw that Super Bowl and saw optimism. That Super Bowl symbolized more than a team making the improbable run to the Super Bowl, it symbolized hope.

The Cardinals lost a heartbreaker to the Steelers, but still their impact was felt everywhere. I remember writing on my blog a phrase along the lines off, "after the Cardinals recent incredible run to the Super Bowl, I can not help but wonder when will the Saints make their run?"

Who would of thought that it would actually happen. By now insanity is settling in as I grow more and more anxious for the Super Bowl. I do my best to evaluate this game as much as I can. There's the part of me that sees Peyton Manning and how he's nothing short of a computer. How, when given the chance and time, he will pick apart a defense. I look at the fact that in his last two games against the Saints he has played incredible. In the last two games Manning has thrown for 9 touchdowns and his team has won by an average score of 48-16. I look at that, plus how this New Orleans Saints defensive unit lives and dies with the turnover. I take that all in and think Manning rarely turns it over. That thought scares me.

Then there's the other half. The half that sees Drew Brees and how last week was a bad game for him. When those games happen he comes out firing on all cylinders the next week. I see an Indianapolis defense that has some young cornerbacks as well as an All-Pro defensive lineman banged up. Then I hear it from everyone. Every media outlet, every radio station, every man on television (except a few)on why the Saints will not win, on why the New Orleans Saints got to the Super Bowl and that's all that matters. They are not here to win. I take that all in and I think to myself about the only thing that really matters when looking at this game.

They have a chance.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

First of all, you are not the real deal.

I agree the Cardinals inspired loveable losers everywhere by making it to the Superbowl. But, nobody remembers second place. We know who played in the Superbowl last year, but how long will we remember that for? The Saints have had an incredible run but we both know Saints fans are fickle. If we don't win, everyone will be disappointed. There is no way around it.

Who Dat!

The Real Deal said...

Of course no one remembers the loser of the Super Bowl. I wasn't implying that the Cardinals season was a success just because they made the Super Bowl. I was saying more so than most Super Bowl losers they'll be remembered because for years they were a struggling franchise. Yes, they lost and that's a bummer for them, but still they do leave something behind.

Any other fan base would be pissed off too if they lost the Super Bowl. There's no way around it. If they do lose it'll take a couple weeks before people can enjoy the season. It's just always tough to be so happy despite having lost.